Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Who I Am, or, Why You Should Care What I Think


Hello. I'm Kathryn Troy: a budding novelist, a self-trained expert of horror in all its iterations, a published historian and semi-seasoned college adjunct, an apprentice baker, and above all a loving wife and mother.

How did I start writing?
I love genre fiction with extreme passion. Horror, fantasy, mystery, paranormal--they have absorbed me from childhood, from The Chronicles of Narnia to Bruce Coville's Into the Land of the UnicornsDracula is one of the few tomes I have read several times, and consider sacrosanct. My own stories have filled my head for longer than I can remember. But I never really tried to get them down until a few years ago. I was intimidated by words--would the right ones come, would they flow together, would the sum of their parts matter to anyone but me? For whatever reason, some stories stuck. Stayed locked inside my head, replaying over and over again for years like a film I'd seen a million times but did not own. When I was staring down an LIRR commute into the city and down to 23rd Street, I thought I'd spend the time reading, something I had not been able to do as much after the birth of my darling Annabelle. But what ended up happening was quite different. I wrote.


A Vision in Crimson: Frostbite Book One Available Now!
What was originally meant as a stand- alone novel, grown from a germ of fan fiction, has now ballooned into an epic fantasy series, wrought with romance, adventure, classical myth, and a healthy dose of the gothic and paranormal. Look to the right for the cover image and back cover copy. Book 2: Dreams of Ice and Shadow is in production, and every day Book 3 becomes clearer in my mind, no matter how much I try to push it aside to make way for other projects.


Too much in my head, this man



The Specter of the Indian: Coming September 2017
I’m tremendously excited that The Specter of the Indian: Race, Gender, and Ghosts in American Séances, 1848-1890 will be released in September by SUNY Press, to whom I shall be forever indebted. This labor of brain power, sweat, and sometimes even love, gives great insight into the “Indian control.” Its speaks of the by now commonplace, clichéd type of the Indian spirit guide and
its emergence in the nineteenth-century as a cornerstone of American Spiritualism, which continues to make waves in our religious and spiritual landscape.






Dream of Ice and Shadow: Frostbite Book Two Coming Soon!
I'm very excited about the second installment of this series. It's got action, danger, romance, magic-everything you loved about the first book, only more, and more of the world to discover.Cover art coming soon!


Bog Body: Venue Hunting
Tollund Man - looks like he could wake up and
 yawn any moment
Bog Body is my answer to so many “man out of time” stories that have such great potential, but always end up being rather flat. It takes as its premise the return to life of a bog body, slumbering in the peat of the Welsh countryside by pagan magic. He is awakened by a young, unsuspecting archaeologist with ghosts of her own. It has required the most preliminary research of any of my fiction projects to date. I’ve come to know everything about bog bodies, archaeological study and preservation, museum policy, archaeology in the academy, British paganism and lore, Egyptology, and Roman expansion in the British Isles, Aside from the material facts, this project will draw inspiration from M.Y. Halidom’s The Woman in Black and The Mummy by Anne Rice.

Notes from the Undead: In Revision
Image result for quixote picasso
Love this picture- have a copy from a
Christmas stall in Bryant Park
Notes from the Undead is about a man who comes to think he has transformed into a vampire, and whose reality deteriorates in very short order. The idea came to me as I was reading Hideyuki Kikuchi's series of novels VampireHunter D when, once again, D cuts off his sentient hand, infested by a nameless symbiote, and sends it off like Thing from the Addams Family to do his bidding. “What if,” I ventured, “what if this idiot just thinks his hand will come back to him? What if he just maimed himself, and sent his dead hand flopping to the floor, with a ‘chop chop! Hurry up now!’” Insanely grotesque. Immediately I began imagining the possibilities to address the state of vampire fiction, and contribute something innovative to it at the same time. As I pondered the modern application of vampiric tropes in my fiction, I stumbled into one seldom used—displacement, the longing for home soil.

2 comments:

  1. I love your website's content. I think you really have something wonderful brewing here. I just find it very hard to read. Black transparent background with blue lettering--it's very stylistic but not easy on the eyes. I hope you don't mind my observation--we write in the same genre and I would like to see all of us horror writers represented to the best of our ability. Good luck, and congrats on being published! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yes all comments are appreciated. I get a little googly-eyed myself, but haven't made a decision as to what's an improvement. I'd love to hear more about what you're working on, what inspires you!

      Delete