Thursday, March 2, 2017

Dragon's Dogma - Where's the Story???

"If I'm to invest, I need to know the story..."
-The Duke, Moulin Rouge!

I've been trying to open myself to more RPG style games, after enjoying Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch immensely. It was an approachable gaming system for someone like me, who's more adept at games like Castlevania and The Legend of Zelda. But the greatest thing about the game was its complex storytelling. I was hoping for something along those lines, but unfortunately Dragon's Dogma missed the mark.

It has lots of things going for it. More than decent design in environments and enemies, even the choices of the player's skillset and equipment. However, there was a big thing missing. I can't even call it a plot hole, because that would imply there was a plot. I suppose there was-an enormous dragon comes around every so often, steals someone's heart, and that person is fated to defeat it. The chosen one is called the Arisen.

Fine. Generic, but fine. Simple enough. But that's literally it. The entirety of the game is a series of quests, and none of them so central as to forward the imaginary plot. Every task felt like the side-quest action that I'm only sometimes interested in, and when you're waiting for something significant to happen, waiting to be told the steps you need to take to be ready to face the dragon, you end up being employed as the ruler's lackey. There are so many quests, and many of them redundant or repetitive in nature, that although there were many hours of game play, I checked out for a good portion of it (something I can do when my husband's the controller). 

By the time we reached the end of the game, we were convinced that we were about to be snookered, about to have everything we knew about the game ripped right out from underneath us, because that couldn't possibly be all there is to the game. Just a setup cut scene in the beginning, lots of quests, and the final boss? No......
Yes.

Whether or not you enjoy this title depends entirely on the kind of experience you're looking for. But I'm persnickety about my video games, and expect an immersive, yet still cinematic, experience. So be warned: this isn't that.

K. Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment